It is difficult to process the physical, emotional and mental residue that remains for wide spread communities affected by the ongoing fires. The stages of recovery in every aspect are so varied that they should be treated with absolute sensitivity to each individual.
Chinese Medicine has an effective systematic diagnostic ability through pulse identification and then acupuncture protocols and herbal formulas to identify individual patterns of imbalance in the body. This method of treatment helps prioritise the needs of the body to help re-establish its core ability to regulate and heal, to be resilient, to have wellbeing.
Respiratory and stress/psychological/sleep disorders may be two of the most pressing current areas of concern for many patients. Here are some examples of clinical presentations and therapeutic functions for some of the patterns that may present individually (or in combination) in these areas.
1. Presentation: Initial stage of respiratory infection with fever and sore throat ; Function: disperse wind-heat
2. Presentation: Allergic sinusitis or rhinitis with nasal congestion and clear nasal discharge; Function: Disperse Wind-cold, open nasal orifices
3. Presentation: Sinus infection with yellow, purulent nasal discharge and nasal congestion; Function: Disperse wind and heat, open nasal orifices
4. Presentation: Lung infection with profuse yellow thick phlegm, post nasal drip, chest fullness, breathing difficulties; Function: Clear lung heat and phlegm
5. Presentation: Acute Cough, dyspnea, wheezing, dry mouth, thirst; Function: clear lung heat, descend lung qi.
6. Presentation: Acute dyspnea, chills, nasal congestion and clear or white nasal discharge; Function: release exterior wind, eliminate phlegm, nourish yin
7. Presentation: Ongoing and deficient type respiratory conditions with wheezing, shallow inhalation, general weakness; Function: tonify and descend lung qi
8. Presentation: ear, nose and throat and lung infection and inflammation; Function: clear heat in the head and upper orifices, eliminate toxins.
1. Presentation: stress, frustration, irritability, anxiety and emotional disturbance; Function: spread liver qi, relieve stagnation
2. Presentation: severe restlessness, stress, anxiety; Function: purge liver fire, calm the spirit
3. Presentation: Insomnia with excessive worries, pensiveness; Function: tonify heart blood, tranquilize the spirit.
4. Presentation: Depression; Function: Disperses phlegm and stagnation of qi, blood, food and damp
5. Presentation: Depression and Stress; Function: spread liver qi, clear heart fire
One of the most important components of wellbeing is resilience – the ability to effectively cope with adversity. We are all faced with adversity at some point or another in our lives and how we respond is a key attribute of our wellbeing. However long it takes, each step you take is a good step.
Wishing you health and happiness.